Thursday, January 29, 2009

What is assessment?

To me, assessment always meant taking tests. Taking tests was a way to evaluate a students work. Of course, tests are only one of many assessment techniques a teacher can use. For example, to avoid the stress most students getting when taking a test, a project may be a better option for assessment. If a project is assigned rather then a test, the student can work at their own pace and in a setting where they are comfortable.

I do believe it is unfair to use tests as an only way of assessment, but do realize that tests may be one of the easiest, fastest ways. As a bad test taker myself, I think that if a test where introduced in a more relaxed manner maybe students would not get so worked up and maybe even scores would increase slightly.

I understand fully that students need to be assessed but we all know that when a student is informed they are going to be assessed they go into panic mode. I know for me, that once I complete the test or assessment, majority of the material I had to memorize is forgotten. That is one thing I do not want to make my students feel. I want to make assessment something not to get worked up over, maybe even find a way to make it fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erica. We have not formally met, but I am a student in Dr. Luongo's Improvement of Reading class. First, great job on your blog. I too agree that tests should not be the only way to evaluate students. Because students do not always possess the same learning capabilies as mentioned by Howard Gardner in his theory of multiple intelligences, it is that much more important that as teachers we also varry our modes of assessing and evaluating students. I am a huge fan of Howard Gardner and his theory of mulitple intelligences and thought it supported the argument outlined in your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica & Carmen,

    I blogged about a similar idea relating to Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, if we have already identified that students learn in different ways, then why haven't we adapted our classroom assessment to a similar theory that all students may not be assessed well through testing. I too am a huge believer and enforcer of Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences and it angers me that we still assess mainly through testing, specifically standardized tests! Not all students learn the same, and not all students are learning the same things, so why test these students the same way about the same things? As a student who learns differently and who may not be familiar with certain areas and topics on standardized tests, you're starting off at a disadvantage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent discussion we have going here. Assessment needs to be adjusted to meet student and teacher need.

    Great responses to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the points you brought up here and I agree that tests make a lot of students panic and to go about assessing students in a relaxed manner.

    ReplyDelete