Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Learning Targets

Learning targets are meant to clearly say what a student is going to learn. Learning targets will be used in all subjects; Math, Reading, Science, Language Arts, Social Studies, etc. I think setting learning targets is important because it allows teachers to focus on developing skills for each child at the correct level. Learning targets are also good in the sense of assessment. By having them, teachers can assess students frequently and help the child before the students grade is effected dramatically.

I like the idea of learning targets because it allows school districts to set targets for each grade level. Learning targets are usually based on standards established by the state. The ultimate question would be: Where are we going?

Another topic discussed in Chapter 3 was taxonimies. There are three categories of the taxonimies of thinking skills: cognitive, affective, and psychomotor. Taxonomy is used to categorize learning targets. To me, I like Bloom's taxonomy. Maybe because all the education classes I have taken have drilled it into me so I understand it more fully. In the chapter it discussed how Bloom's has been revised to not be six categories but only 3. I personally don't like the thought of that. However, I do believe that learning targets help teachers and students focus on specific goals and make it a better way to know what you are trying to assess.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about learning targets allowing schools to set targets for each grade level and requiring the learning targets to be met for advancement to the next grade.

    Bloom's Taxonomy has been drilled into our brains here at SPC but I think that it's a wonderful tool and the taxonomy discussed in chapter three is something slightly different, and so it could be benefitial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that you said in this blog is so very true. Christine is right about the taxonomy being different, but I too say it can definitely be beneficial. As teachers we are going to be learning so much at the same rate as the students, and our flexibility matters a lot! Learning targets and meeting them to advance is something I feel strongly for. We cannot just pass children because of their cuteness. We have to give them great learning targets and opportunities to meet these targets. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with your description of everything and i liked how you also referred to taxonomy.

    ReplyDelete