Monday, March 30, 2009

Portfolios

Portfolios! I love them! I think portfolios are a great way to track students work. I think they have the potential to be extremely effective while also allowing students to showcase their work. It allows the student to show their classmates, parents and themselves some of their best work. It is also a great way for the student to see the progress they have made throughout the year.

I especially like how it gets students involved. I remember in grammar school my teacher allowing me to pick out some of my stories from my writing folder for my portfolio. I always picked the best of the best out of all my stories. I remember how excited I would be to pick out my favorite work I did for my parents to see at parent/teacher conferences.

I also believe that portfolios are helpful to teachers and aren't just for students. It's a great way for a teacher to organize a students work and allow them to track the progress of that student that much more easily. I also think that when creating the portfolio it should not be up to the student alone. I think that the teacher and student work together so that it is a fair evaluation of the progress made.

In my classroom, I can see myself using portfolios. However, I wouldn't use a simple folder--I would like something more creative [maybe the pizza box idea Dr. Luongo said in our language arts class] or atleast folders decorated by the students. Something exciting!

3 comments:

  1. Erica,

    Great ideas! The pizza box is a terrific way to save portfolio pieces. Do you have any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like portfolios, if not for assessment, for atleast being a tool for the student to use to track their own progress. It allows students to see their progress from the first days of school, to the last, and sometimes even from grade to grade. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pizza box idea too =) Another idea I think is great for portfolios is a shoe box or even those plastic drawer things (I can't remember how they are called) - I wish that in grammar school I had the opportunity to have a portfolio but in Ecuador we didn't have them. =) I like the portfolio idea too =) but like I said in my blog, I would make my students attach a papers saying why the student is putting that piece of work in the portfolio.

    ReplyDelete