Monday, April 13, 2009

Mulitple Choice and Essay Tests

Ahh, tests. A touchy subject. There are many types of tests but out of multiple choice and essay, I prefer essay. I feel as though if a student is giving a blank piece of paper to answer a speific question, they will be better able to demonstrate their understanding of the topic. When you are giving multiple choice questions, the sudent can (1) guess, (2) get confused and (3) not fully show how much knowledge they know about the question.

I think multiple choice questions are good in certain circumstances. For example, some language art tests such as one word answer questions (synonyms, etc.). If a question is more then a few words, I feel as though essay format tests are the better choice.

However, even though I prefer essay tests, I realize that you cannot always give the same formatted test. In my classroom, I will use both multiple choice and essay tests. The main reason being that on a multiple choice test, if the student choices the wrong answer it is completely wrong and they recieve no credit(even if they knew something about the topic). Yet, on essay tests, you can assess the student based on everything the wrote down(which should show all or almost all of what they know on that topic). Altogether I think a teacher needs to realize when it is appropriate to use a multiple choice or essay test.

2 comments:

  1. This comment shows that you are really starting to think like a teacher, "However, even though I prefer essay tests, I realize that you cannot always give the same formatted test. In my classroom, I will use both multiple choice and essay tests. "

    We have to realize that our students will learn and prefer being asssessed in different ways than we do.

    As always, a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that in different cases you will have to use different test methods. I feel that it will all depend upon the class you're teaching, the subject your teaching, and what you want your students to know about that subject.

    ReplyDelete